Friday, January 30, 2015

Point-Of-View: Blue System's "Twilight" Album

Many may have question marks popping over their heads when they hear a band named, "Blue System". It is more of a Eurodisco-pop group than just a band.

Whoever knows the songs "Brother Louie" or "You're My Heart, You're My Soul" by Modern Talking should know its composer, Dieter Bohlen (who is also part of the guitarist and back-up vocals of MT).

And when MT split up in 1987, Dieter, who moves on in pursuit of his music career dreams, formed a new group called "Blue System". The group has rocked Germany and Russia as well, and other countries (mostly European) with its familiar Modern Talking disco-feel, only more masculine and sexy.

Dieter's husky voice made me feel awkward at first, the very first time I heard it. But I got more interested to listen to all the songs, its sexy words (some are too sexy), the naughty, or pleasant, or heavy, or playful, or strong appealed sound... oh, later on, I am already hooked on most of their songs!

So, in this blog, you will experience Blue System music and my point-of-view about one of their albums that I liked: Twilight.


1. Magic Symphony - "I hear a symphony of love, I see the stars, the moon above. I hear your heart, I feel your touch deep down inside."

The very strong, attention-grabbing introduction of violin mixed with synthesized beat. It is like classical music with a modern disco twist.

BS style is very like Modern Talking, except that it sounded more masculine and most of the themes are sexier, but not this one. This is more of an old fashioned classic orchestra meets the upbeat contemporary disco.

The lyrics, in terms of comprehensiveness, is a little bit mixed up. It doesn't form one exact story, but then, we can safely assume that it is about love, being in love and how it feels like (the chorus got that very well-said).

A very catchy song. No wonder this is one of the best of Blue System.

2. Love Me On The Rocks - "Are you ready?" 

Nadja sings as an introduction to this sexy, Eurodisco hit dominated by high-pitched piano and beats.

The music video shows that BS is in Russia, and I tell you, the song really fits. It gives me the Russian-feel, or as if I am in Russia. I always had the impression of Russian's hard and strong personality and this song has it.

The lyrics are sexually suggestive, not advised for parents to let your kids sing this. That's why it really seems to suit well played on discos.

3. Save Me - "Don't look back and don't look sad."

A different sound, but has the beats and high pitched piano that Love Me On The Rocks has. This horror-like-themed song can be sexually suggestive (because of all the sound of a gasping person), upbeat but relaxing (weird description, isn't it?)

Lyrically speaking, the song tells a story of a man who plays with love. He just goes to disco, go partying, and play around with girls. Save Me is such a dangerous word. It seems like what he says to lure women, or either to help him find a woman who can save him from whatever making him act like that.

4. Nobody Makes Me Crazy Like You Do - "Nobody makes me crazy like you do. Oh baby, I just can't say no to you. Oh, everybody needs a little love to live."

This started to balance the songs in the album. Twilight started out with heavy music, intense and wild suggestions. Now this song seems to shine like a sun behind the dark clouds.

It is a very cheerful, playful song about falling in love.

5. Madonna Blue - "Today we could been so good together. Love makes the world go round."

Next to the light twists in the album. Lighter than Nobody Makes Me Crazy Like You Do. In fact, its way too romantic. Romantic and the type that you'd love to listen at on sunset summers, especially that guitar plucking!

The lyrics are declaration of love for a girl that BS calls Madonna Blue.

6. Call Me Dr. Love (A New Dimension) - "Wake up, don't dream of me. Wake up! Wake up!"

The heavy beats and playful mix are back. This song is (lyrically) about being a lover, as usual with songs of BS. Other than that, it has a very orchestra feeling. Yes, it's the same classic-meets-modern-disco single. It's a very encouraging song, a manly motivation that he should be loved. The lyrics are just mere descriptions of how he meets girl, where he lives, how he lives and that the dreaming or just plain infatuation should stop and should be put an action to it, like making the first move.

7. Little Jeanie - "When you take my love, baby, how I cry for you."

This song has a less appeal or attraction to me. It isn't that heavy or light like the previous songs. More of the modern kind of Eurodisco music that we hear today than in the 80s.

8. Carry Me, Oh, Carrie - "A love enough for two, oh, babe for me and you. Carry me, Carrie.Carrie, take me home!"

The intro seems to water a dry flower into a full bloom. In other words, this one is a cheerful, light song. It makes me feel so hopeful with love, so in love and  totally good vibes!

It seems like the exact feeling when you realize that you have fallen in love. (I know it sounds too opinionated but then, this is a point-of-view blog and not that serious review thingy ha!ha!)

9. Big Yellow Taxi - "Feelings, they're hardest words to say. But my feelings grow stronger, babe, everyday."

Another upbeat, cheerful, and source-of-good-vibes song! All about love and wanting to give your best because you love that girl, and not even that good-story-telling taxi driver can keep you from wanting to go home.

10. Everything I Own - "If we should lose love, the pain is in my heart, is in my soul."

The playlist ends with the last on the list, the heavy beating single, Everything I Own. It sounds like a break-up story where the guy is ready to sacrifice, give away everything he's got to have the girl back.

THE WHOLE ALBUM:


Album Cover: Cool color, cool mixing. It's a 5/5 for me. One of the best album covers that Blue System has. Neat, simple, and attractive.

Tracklist: Cool arrangement. It doesn't make you feel too overdosed with heavy music or light music because the arrangement makes the two kinds of songs in this album balanced.

Songs: Not all of it is catchy to me; but that doesn't mean I consider this album a junk. Guess what? I love it!

My Top 5 Favorites:
1. Magic Symphony
2. Carry Me, Oh, Carrie
3. Save Me
4. Madonna Blue
5. Everything I Own


Sources:
Video -Youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQvwcC2Il9s)
Lyrics - Metrolyrics.com

No comments:

Post a Comment